The Canadian Mental Health Association, Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge is pleased to announce that next week, May 7 to 13 is Mental Health Week. Our key messages are:
- Mental health is worth protecting, celebrating and promoting
- Everyone has mental health, just as everyone has physical health
- Together, we can create a thriving and inclusive community free from stigma
We are pleased to advise that this year we will be celebrating Mental Health Week with our first Green Ribbon Campaign. Inspired by local mental health advocate, Michael Post, our hope for this campaign is to raise awareness, create more discussions around mental health and promote the idea that mental health is everyone’s business. We will be selling the green ribbons by donation to raise funds for the Canadian Mental Health Association, Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge. We wish to thank our student volunteers from St. Peter’s “Open Your Mind Group”, lead by teacher and Mental Health Advocate Julie Vallieres, for helping us to create thousands of ribbons. C.M.H.A. H.K.P.R board members, staff and volunteers will be on hand at the following locations with the green ribbons:
- May 4 Lindsay Square, Lindsay – 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- May 4 Gilmer’s Home Hardware, Port Hope 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 5 Lansdowne Place – 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- May 5 Fontaine Source for Sports, Peterborough 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- May 5 UFE Revolution 2018, Cobourg Community Centre, 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- May 7 Corus Corner (corner of King and George, Peterborough) 8 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- May 9 Peterborough Square 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- May 11 Nexicom, Millbrook 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- May 7-12 Merrett Home Hardware, Peterborough at the checkout
- May 7-12 Brant Basics, Peterborough at the checkout
- May 12 Leon’s Peterborough, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – 1731 Landsdowne St. W, Peterborough
We are pleased to advise there are a number of other events and workshops going on over the next week, focused on mental health.
Monday, May 7– Mental Health Week Kick Off – 9:30 a.m.at Brant Basics, 296 George Street. We are pleased to welcome Peterborough Mayor Darrell Bennett to read a proclamation to kick off Mental Health Week. We will be welcoming representatives from various businesses, organizations and individuals to help us celebrate.
Wednesday, May 9 – “Vital Workplaces – Addressing Loneliness in the workplace, Presented by CMHA HKPR and Balance at Work” – 8:30-10:00 a.m. – Peterborough Public Health, 185 King Street –Further information including registration at https://cmhahkpr.ca/events/vital-workplaces-addressing-loneliness-at-work/
Wednesday, May 9th B.O.S.S. (Business Owners Sharing Solutions sponsored by Kawartha Chamber) 7:30 a.m. Lakefield Legion, Featuring CMHA HKPR Educator
Jack Veitch and CMHA HKPR Team55 Dave Pogue. For more information visit https://cmhahkpr.ca/events/b-o-s-s-business-owners-sharing-solutions-mental-health-in-the-workplace/
Thursday, May 10 – Kick off exciting new Mountain Bike Event – Harold Town Conservation Area, Old Norwood Road – Time and Details to follow (May 8).
Friday, May 11 – Annual Nexicom BBQ for Mental Health – 12-2:00 pm – 5 King Street, Millbrook – This is a community BBQ. All are welcome
Saturday, May 12 – Bike-a-thon for Mental Health at Leon’s Peterborough, 1731 Landsdowne Street West – As a pre-event to CMHA’s June 24 Ride Don’t Hide, community members are invited to drop by Leon’s and hop on a stationary bike supplied by Kawartha Fitness. Donations are welcome. Pledge sheets and more information can be found at https://cmhahkpr.ca/events/bike-a-thon-for-mental-health-at-leons-peterborough/ C.M.H.A. H.K.P.R. is also pleased to welcome a Live Remote with Diamond Sponsors – 101.5 The Wolf and 100.5 Fresh Radio.
The following mental health and suicide prevention training opportunities are also open for registration:
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training – (ASIST) – June 21, 22 – Peterborough – 830-430 – (must attend both days)
- Mental Health First Aide – May 10 and 11 – Lindsay – 830-430 – (must attend both days)
- safeTALK – June 27th – 6-9 pm – Peterborough
For registration information on these and other courses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on Mental Health Week events, please contact Kerri Davies, Manager of Community Engagement 705-748-6687 extension 1048 or email email@example.com